DACs
E17K Alpen 2
Head Gears
FLC 8S
regtime
2015-7-27
Post time 2015-10-1 10:55:46 |Show all posts |
samandhi replied at 2015-9-30 16:07
You are welcome. I know what you mean, I have been a bit impulsive at times on here also, but no ...

I've bought new IEM's to see if it is the IEM itself, I've adjusted my FiiO's equalizer for it to sound its best, it should be here soon, if it doesn't sound better, then I'll just go for the Q1

But if not...then I'll just want to get the A3/EK11, which do you recommend I should get?

I know you haven't tried the Q1 yet, but which do you recommend I get? The EK11/A3 or the Q1?

Use magic Report

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
CDs, iTunes, raw rips, anything of general high qaulity
AMPs
Computer ASUS Phobus
regtime
2015-3-14
Post time 2015-10-1 11:12:54 |Show all posts |
My iPod Video had noticabley less bass with the same pair of headphones I'm using right now.

I cannot hear a difference between my $200 sound card and the FiiO X1 with the same songs.  Not even joking.

Use magic Report

Senator

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
FiiO X7 + AM2
AMPs
E12A Mont Blanc
DACs
E17K Alpen 2
Head Gears
FLC 8S
regtime
2015-7-27
Post time 2015-10-1 12:07:35 |Show all posts |
SoundMan replied at 2015-10-1 11:12
My iPod Video had noticabley less bass with the same pair of headphones I'm using right now.

I cann ...

Holy crap, seriously!?

1.22b does sound great for me though.
I'm starting to think it was IEM quality then, either that, or I'm a hardcore basshead, will update about it in a week.

Anyway having heard that, I am now SUPER-hyped for the X7.

Just a question, what is your soundcard?

Nx Nx Nx Nx Nx Nx

Use magic Report

Prime Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X3II, X5, Note 4, iPod Touch 5th gen, iPod Touch 3rd gen
AMPs
Alpen E17, Alpen E17K
DACs
X3II, X5
Head Gears
Senn PX360, Momentum Wireless, Momentum 1.0, Senn HD700, Marshall Monitors, Bose AE2W (BT), Xioami Piston 2.1 (2)
regtime
2015-2-3
Post time 2015-10-1 14:35:50 |Show all posts |
RebeccaSugar replied at 2015-10-1 10:55
I've bought new IEM's to see if it is the IEM itself, I've adjusted my FiiO's equalizer for it to  ...

Honestly? I would ditch the X1 and get an X3II or X5II, or even the X5 gen 1 (then you shouldn't need an amp at all for IEMs). Actually as far as SQ goes, I still think the X5 gen 1 has the best of all of them, and the best amp too.

If you are not willing to go that route, I would get the the E12 before I got the A3. I don't like that the 3.5mm jacks are on the bottom. Nothing since the iPods have plugs on the bottom. This makes it akward at best, and you cannot put the stack in your pocket at that point. Plus, the E12 has more power, and can easily handle 300 ohm headphones. This is ALL just my opinion though.

Use magic Report

Senator

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
FiiO X7 + AM2
AMPs
E12A Mont Blanc
DACs
E17K Alpen 2
Head Gears
FLC 8S
regtime
2015-7-27
Post time 2015-10-1 17:22:05 |Show all posts |
samandhi replied at 2015-10-1 14:35
Honestly? I would ditch the X1 and get an X3II or X5II, or even the X5 gen 1 (then you shouldn't ...

I'll just use that same money to save for an X7!

Thanks, Sam!

I was so close to pulling the trigger and getting an Q1.

Now we play the waiting game....

Use magic Report

Register Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X1
AMPs
X1
regtime
2015-9-27
Post time 2015-10-1 22:28:17 |Show all posts |
samandhi replied at 2015-10-1 14:35
Honestly? I would ditch the X1 and get an X3II or X5II, or even the X5 gen 1 (then you shouldn't ...

Well I appreciate having the jacks on the bottom side.... so i put it up side-down.

The important thing about that is having the volume-knob AND the gain-switch downside.

I tried it it with the volume-knob on top... when I changed volume..sometimes I accidentaly hit the switch for High GAIN and hurt my ears!

THis doesnt happen when those switches are upside down.
chinese corporations? undemocratic, incapable, beyond reproach. products: cheap.

Use magic Report

Prime Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
AMPs
Alpen E17, Alpen E17K
DACs
X3II, X5
Head Gears
Senn PX360, Momentum Wireless, Momentum 1.0, Senn HD700, Marshall Monitors, Bose AE2W (BT), Xioami Piston 2.1 (2)
regtime
2015-2-3
Post time 2015-10-2 01:55:57 |Show all posts |
Edited by samandhi at 2015-10-2 02:01
BruceBanner replied at 2015-10-1 22:28
Well I appreciate having the jacks on the bottom side.... so i put it up side-down.

The important  ...

I can see in certain conditions you might want it like that, but if the knob, and switches are downwards, and you carry it in your pocket, I can see the knob wearing much faster due to the stress of the weight of the stack. Looking at it, it IS just a mechanical Pot, and not protected very well at that.

I think (again, only my opinion) the reason they discontinued the E17 in favor of the E17K is because the input to the device was on the bottom (to accomodate for the iPod output being on the bottom), but the output of the E17 was on top. This led to undue stress on one side or another for the cabling and/or the jacks.

I'll just use that same money to save for an X7!

Go X7, woot!  BTW, what new IEMs did you buy?

Use magic Report

Register Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
Fiio X1
AMPs
None
Head Gears
Ostry KC06
regtime
2015-2-19
Post time 2015-10-2 05:59:41 |Show all posts |
RebeccaSugar replied at 2015-9-30 14:45
Hey! Thank you! That makes me worry less, what counts is that I was aware of it and now moved on!  ...

Well friend, in terms of sound preferences, it's all about how you like it, i mean, some phones as we know have certain patterns or signature that makes them "special" against other brands...

My self i have some Ostry KC06a for street use with the X1, and some overear Beyerdynamic in door. i mostly use X1 in street so Ostry KC06a are the most used... those earphones are very special, in terms of sound quality, and maybe they let those changes go unnoticed...

A question for some more experienced lads, what do you prefer, in terms of improving audio quality (consider budget).
a) Upgrade to best DAP (X1 -> X3 or X5)
b) Add am amplifier to X1

Use magic Report

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
CDs, iTunes, raw rips, anything of general high qaulity
AMPs
Computer ASUS Phobus
regtime
2015-3-14
Post time 2015-10-2 07:09:24 |Show all posts |
RebeccaSugar replied at 2015-10-1 12:07
Just a question, what is your soundcard?

Asus Phoebus.

Strongly not recommended.  Very poor driver support from the manufacturer.

Use magic Report

Prime Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
AMPs
Alpen E17, Alpen E17K
DACs
X3II, X5
Head Gears
regtime
2015-2-3
Post time 2015-10-2 15:57:45 |Show all posts |
C.Holtheuer replied at 2015-10-2 05:59
Well friend, in terms of sound preferences, it's all about how you like it, i mean, some phones as ...

First and formost (IMO), I would say that Headphones make more of a difference than anything else. If you have a DAP that is not so good, you can either add an amp, or eq it, or etc. Headphones don't change (much).   

It is my opinion that you really must listen to the gear that you plan on getting (if you can). Some headphones might sound like $1,000 on one chain, while they sound like crap on others. Perfect example; check out the Sennheiser HD700 appreciation thread on Head-Fi. You will see that a LOT of people can't agree on whether they are awesome or crap. Those headphones in particuluar are very picky (not quite as much as HD800s, but still) on the equipment they are used on.

That being said, you CAN go into it with some "educated" predictions. Know your specs on the devices you are planning on buying. Example: If you have some IEMs that are only 16 ohms, you need to get a player that has an output impedance of 2 ohms or less, or they will not be driven properly (read flabby, loose bass).

I cannot comment from experience with the X1, but from what I have read on here, the X1 should be retired. I have the X3II, and the X5 gen 1, and I can say that they are both very good sounding with all of my headphones. Some better than others though. So, I would not recommend (based on the little information I have) on buying an amp for the X1. Save the money and either upgrade, or go with a different brand.

I would argue, that unless you have hard to drive and/or inefficient headphones, you don't really need an amp with these higher powered devices that are popular nowadays. An amp is not just used to make the music louder, but also to drive the headphones to their full potential.

ALL this being said, and mind you, I still don't find the software on the Fiio X devices even moderately satisfactory, I really like the sound of the my X3II AND the X5 (the X5 being the best of all of them that I can tell). If Fiio ever decides to fix the things that people have been complaining about, these players would/will give ALL others a run for their money. This is not to say that there aren't some really good DAPs out on the market for you to try.

The absolute best trick I have found to better help me find what I want (because I have absolutely no place to try the stuff I would like) is to check out some reviews, and find the people that have similar tastes to what you are looking for, then look at their favorite equipment. If this happens to be too expensive for you, see if they have reviewed the equipment you are looking at, and if it is a favorable review, you can start there. After a while, over a period of time, you can start trusting that, that person has similar tastes, and chances are, if they like it, you will too.

It also helps to buy from places that let you return stuff, no questions asked. That way, you can test stuff out, and return it if you don't like it later.

Use magic Report

Senator

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
FiiO X7 + AM2
AMPs
E12A Mont Blanc
DACs
E17K Alpen 2
Head Gears
FLC 8S
regtime
2015-7-27
Post time 2015-10-3 06:27:19 |Show all posts |
samandhi replied at 2015-10-2 15:57
First and formost (IMO), I would say that Headphones make more of a difference than anything els ...

I ordered ATH-CKS99 IEM's and....

Holy sh!t, It sounds god damn beautiful, everything is so spread out and clear, what have I been missing!?

This is perfect, they are being driven perfectly, but, as always, the bass is still sad, it still beats the 1.3+ sound though, the treble was so high on it that my ears hurt.

I really want that amp but now I want to save up for the X7.

650 - 70 = 580

So if I save those 70, I can get it the day it comes out, hmmmm.....

Use magic Report

Register Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
Fiio X1
AMPs
None
Head Gears
Ostry KC06
regtime
2015-2-19
Post time 2015-10-4 13:50:58 |Show all posts |
samandhi replied at 2015-10-2 15:57
First and formost (IMO), I would say that Headphones make more of a difference than anything els ...

Thanks for your opinion, very complete... i'm planning to eventualy get a x5 II or an x7

Use magic Report

Prime Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
AMPs
Alpen E17, Alpen E17K
DACs
X3II, X5
Head Gears
regtime
2015-2-3
Post time 2015-10-4 15:04:47 |Show all posts |
RebeccaSugar replied at 2015-10-3 06:27
I ordered ATH-CKS99 IEM's and....

Those look very unique (for sure). From your past posts (about bass), and from what I have read about these IEMs, I would bet that you are just used to a lot of bass (quantity). These seem to be more on the quality side of things, though people are saying they have more mid bass than sub. This might explain why they seem to be lacking in bass. Most consumer headphones nowadays are tuned with boomy bass on purpose. The masses seem to want this more than actual accuracy of sound. Give it a month or so with the bass the way it is, and then see what you think.

Thanks for your opinion, very complete... i'm planning to eventualy get a x5 II or an x7

You are welcome! I MAY buy the X7, but I will not buy it until it is out for a bit, because of all the issues the other DAPs have had. I will wait and see if there are any deal-breakers for me (this time) before pulling the trigger. Though, being Android based, if the sound is as good as their other DAPs (apparently besides the X1 hehe), I can't see it having any of the issues that the others have had. If their software sucks, it would be really easy to use another piece of software for playback.

Use magic Report

Register Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X1
AMPs
X1
regtime
2015-9-27
Post time 2015-10-4 18:55:57 |Show all posts |
Edited by BruceBanner at 2015-10-4 19:01

To me this is absolutely hilarious.

Please look at it carefully.

First they sell cheap X1 with satisfied sound to get you onto their brand and product-line, good reviews and so on.
Then they weakened the internal AMPs quality via FW update without saying a single word about it.
FInally they have better sounding expensivier products and external AMPs they aggressively promoting, while no more saying than "we lookin' at it" for the sound-issues opened up 6 monthes ago with FW1.3.

Either you already have an old X1 or you just bought a new X1... this silently increases the demand for more, for upgrade DAP or attach ex.AMP - having FiiO DAP most people will buy FiiO ex.AMPs just for best compatibility, but in fact they took away something they claimed with this thing already would be best...and it WAS, and that rated everywhere, until they ruined it... accidentally.... sure, and my grannie flies motorcycle!

Hate ya, FiiO, you fakin'.
chinese corporations? undemocratic, incapable, beyond reproach. products: cheap.

Use magic Report

Prime Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
AMPs
Alpen E17, Alpen E17K
DACs
X3II, X5
Head Gears
regtime
2015-2-3
Post time 2015-10-4 19:19:59 |Show all posts |
Edited by samandhi at 2015-10-4 19:39
BruceBanner replied at 2015-10-4 18:55
To me this is absolutely hilarious.

Please look at it carefully.

Well, thisis what I really want, but the cheapest I can find it new is still $2k.... OUCH!

The problem for me is that there are really no good DAPs out there that have as good of sound, low impedance output, and great (and powerful) amps in them until you start getting up on the thousands of dollars range.... Sony makes a decent Android based DAP, but it has no output power, and I only own 1 pair of IEMs. The rest are high enough impedance, and not efficient enough that that Sony would not drive them well. I would buy the A&K junior, but I just don't want a device that is like its bigger brother, but chopped down (like the X1, that's why I didn't buy it).

That is why I keep reiterating, that if Fiio would get their s*it together, they would have the best in class (and higher up too), period. As it is, it rates well on audiphile sites only insomuch as the sound is concerned.

I suppose I will just have to keep my iPod Touch 5th gen, and 3rd gen, and my Note 4 for listening to specifics, and my X devices to just put all songs on and shuffle (that is the easiest thing to do for me), or a few playlists I have created, etc..... But trying to play a specific song for a buddy or something like that???? Forget it! heh

Let's hope RebeccaSugar is successful in her endeavor in getting Rockbox ported to the devices (for all of our sake)! I used to do a bit of..... "Reverse Engineering" a while ago, but this is over my head....

I'll be honest with you, I believe the only reason people bought the X devices to begin with, is because of the combination of price, and the amount of memory it can support. There are other devices out there that might sound pretty decent, but other than the discontinued iPod Classic (160GB), there aren't a lot of options under $500 (that are decent). And, what great timing that their devices even LOOK like those beloved (by the masses) iPod Classics.

But, I digress! I really DO like the sound of the devices I have. I am sorry that your (and many other people's) X1 doesn't sound very good now. If they would at least tell us whether they are going to fix the glaring issues people are complaining about, I would be happy. So far (as you have seen) there have only been either cryptic answers, or no answers at all.....

Use magic Report

Intermediate Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X1
AMPs
none
regtime
2015-8-30
Post time 2015-10-18 18:54:56 |Show all posts |
Edited by Yoshi at 2015-10-18 19:47

Ok guys after installing the new firmware my X1 doesnt turn off sometimes when the idle power off feature is turned on, and it does something even funnier - it turns ON somehow without even touching it =/ does anyone has such problem???

I have a feeling before I needed to press the POWER BUTTON for quite longer period of time to make it turn on, now i just press it once and it goes on =/

Use magic Report

Intermediate Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X1
AMPs
none
regtime
2015-8-30
Post time 2015-10-20 03:17:16 |Show all posts |
Update - it doesnt turn on but for sure the IDLE POWER OFF feature doesnt work properly. It pretty often doesnt turn the player off like it used before in 1.4. Since the update it turns off the player from time to time but mostly it doesnt, and this feature is pretty important for me since I often forget to turn my player off =/

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X1
regtime
2015-10-21
Post time 2015-10-21 11:06:19 |Show all posts |
Yellow replied at 2015-9-21 17:02
Some guys response that there is a little issue over 10000 songs. We don't find this issue in our te ...

Thanks for update, my X1 could handle 12,000+ songs now

Use magic Report

Register Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X1
AMPs
X1
regtime
2015-9-27
Post time 2015-10-21 14:03:03 |Show all posts |
But could it handle 5000 of one genre or 3000 of one artist? Try and find out. Barely not. You have to keep the hierarchy level of all kind low on amount. There is a count to were it almost runs like an instant, but if the count of each subject is a certain level too high it take years to just refresh the screen, press back or select a track.

Use magic Report

Register Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
yinyuan
AMPs
erfang
regtime
2015-5-30
Post time 2015-10-21 15:24:11 |Show all posts |
No issues with the new FW 1.5 on my X1. No lag time, no power issues, But I do have issues with the font size. As others have pointed out the Font size needs to be larger. It's not a good idea to stare at the X1 while driving trying to read the text. Please add this request to the next FW update. Otherwise, this is a great machine!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register Now

About FiiO|Warranty|Contact Us|FiiO Forums  

GMT+8, 2019-11-19 21:39 , Processed in 0.032021 second(s), 20 queries .