F-Coin
Audio Sources
X3II, X5, Note 4, iPod Touch 5th gen, iPod Touch 3rd gen
AMPs
Alpen E17, Alpen E17K
DACs
X3II, X5
Head Gears
Senn PX360, Momentum Wireless, Momentum 1.0, Senn HD700, Marshall Monitors, Bose AE2W (BT), Xioami Piston 2.1 (2)
regtime
2015-2-3
Post time 2015-10-1 03:56:52 |Show all posts |
  I was looking at the stats (and comparisons) for the Fiio DAPs, which can be found here. Isn't the crosstalk stat supposed to be in a negative number (and the more negative the better), or am I missing something that needs explanation?

Doing a search yielded SOME results, but most devices that I found that actually had this stat was listed as a negative number. All discussions I found were also talking about negative values; -40 being not really that good. From what I read -60 and up was not only good, but was not noticeable (diminishing returns).

I had thought that, that number was supposed to represent how well each channel was isolated from the other, and other components in the system, but if there is some other meaning for this stat that Fiio has posted, please let me know, I am curious?!

Use magic Report

Register Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X1
AMPs
X1
regtime
2015-9-27
Post time 2015-10-1 04:19:40 |Show all posts |
Edited by BruceBanner at 2015-10-1 04:21

The number shows how well each channel leaks into the other.

i quote someone else:
How is it measured? A generator drives one channel and this channel's output value is noted; meanwhile the other channel is set for zero volts (its generator is left hooked up, but turned to zero, or alternatively the input is terminated with the expect source impedance). Under no circumstances is the measured channel left open. Whatever signal is induced into the tested channel is measured at its output with an rms voltmeter and noted. A ratio is formed by dividing the unwanted signal by the above-noted output test value, and the answer expressed in dB. Since the ratio is always less than one (crosstalk is always less than the original signal) the expression results in negative dB ratings. For example, a crosstalk spec of -60 dB is interpreted to mean the unwanted signal is 60 dB below the test signal.

Source:
http://www.rane.com/note145.html

So the smaller the crosstalk, the higher the negative number, the better it is.
Hope i was of service
chinese corporations? undemocratic, incapable, beyond reproach. products: cheap.

Use magic Report

Prime Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
AMPs
Alpen E17, Alpen E17K
DACs
X3II, X5
Head Gears
Senn PX360, Momentum Wireless, Momentum 1.0, Senn HD700, Marshall Monitors, Bose AE2W (BT), Xioami Piston 2.1 (2)
regtime
2015-2-3
Post time 2015-10-1 07:10:51 |Show all posts |
  Funny, I read an article very much like this one, and that is what made me question the Fiio devices. If you look at all their listed numbers for crosstalk, they are all in positive numbers, and I was just wondering if that was a typo, or if their spec is measured by some other than normal method.

It WAS of service to me, because it verified that I was thinking the right thing about this.

Use magic Report

Register Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
X1
AMPs
X1
regtime
2015-9-27
Post time 2015-10-1 20:33:40 |Show all posts |
Edited by BruceBanner at 2015-10-1 20:38

I would say that it's neither a typo or measured indifferently. I guess they removed the minus for people like you not getting confused, for seeing a higher number meaning better without getting confused by minus-foresign.

There is no other way to measure crosstalk with positive values.... just leaving it positve could be interpreted that there is a 60dB leak. to each other... what would be very bad... or correctly said: technically imposible.. how to get one signal leaking +60db (louder than itself) to the other channel at all? with an crosstalk-amplifier?

With crosstalk you wanna tell how LESS something is (the leak).

You need to wait for FiiO-Support to explain why they were "trying to make a spec for dummies". So i guess the answer might high-likely be: "We (or our engineers) decided that this would be easier to understand for the costumers."

chinese corporations? undemocratic, incapable, beyond reproach. products: cheap.

Use magic Report

Prime Member

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
AMPs
Alpen E17, Alpen E17K
DACs
X3II, X5
Head Gears
regtime
2015-2-3
Post time 2015-10-2 02:04:54 |Show all posts |
There is no other way to measure crosstalk with positive values.... just leaving it positve could be interpreted that there is a 60dB leak. to each other... what would be very bad... or correctly said: technically imposible.. how to get one signal leaking +60db (louder than itself) to the other channel at all? with an crosstalk-amplifier?

My thoughts also. I hope to hear back from one of the Fiio people on this.

Use magic Report

FiiO Fans

digest
F-Coin
Audio Sources
m
AMPs
m
regtime
2015-11-22
Post time 2015-11-22 05:11:08 |Show all posts |
Hi,
I am planning to get either an X2 or and X5 and use the line out to an amplifier and speakers. In the specs, the only difference I could see for the line out was that the X5 had higher figures for the crosstalk. . Is crosstalk the only difference between the two DAPS in terms of the sound that I will hear and will I notice that difference. In other words, is it worth paying more for the x5? I'm a complete idiot in technical matters.
Thanks

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register Now

About FiiO|Warranty|Contact Us|FiiO Forums  

GMT+8, 2019-12-15 11:14 , Processed in 0.022567 second(s), 22 queries .